A late 17th century Italian Bardiglio marble mortar of small proportions. Possibly Rome, circa 1680. Mortars of this size (and so well carved) were usually used in apothecaries for the preparations of medicine from natural ingredients. The curved handles, gourded shape and elaborate rim (typical of the baroque period) makes this otherwise ordinary domestic object a rare work of art.
Size: 14 cm Height, 20 cm Diameter